Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Inclusion in the Modern Classroom

Today's students, classrooms, and schools are constantly changing. Inclusion is becoming more and more important. When I have my own classroom, how will I be able to include students of all learning abilities?

Universal Design for Learning, or UDL, is a way in which teachers use inclusive methods to teach students of varying educational backgrounds. The UDL curriculum seeks to use the same standards across the board whether it be "traditional" classroom students, students from other cultures, or students with disabilities. Although UDL was created with special needs students in mind, it is now a general curriculum for every student.

In order to give every student the best chance of reaching the desired education standard, UDL classrooms use a variety of teaching methods. Technology is mixed in with more traditional style learning from textbooks and lecture. Students are able to use iPads and smart boards to help reinforce the lessons they are learning in class.


I think that UDL and inclusion is very important. Every student deserves an equal opportunity to learn, and should be able to learn the same standards as every other student regardless of "placement". I hope that when I am a teacher I will be able to incorporate all the aspects of UDL to ensure every one of my students feels included, and welcomed in my learning environment.


http://www.udlcenter.org/aboutudl/udlguidelines
http://www.ncset.hawaii.edu/institutes/april2003/papers/pdf/PROVIDING%20NEW%20ACCESS.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment