Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Educational Philosophies

There are many different educational philosophies in today's schools, especially because of how diverse our classrooms have become. It is important for both teachers and students to understand each others' philosophies in order to have a productive classroom and learning environment.

After taking a test to see which philosophies I ranked highest in, I was not surprised to see essentialism and humanism come up as my results. Here are the definitions for each of these philosophies as found on http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/ed416/scoringguide.html.


"Essentialism
Essentialists believe that there is a core of basic knowledge and skills that needs to be transmitted to students in a systematic, disciplined way. A practical focus, rather than social policy, and emphasis on intellectual and moral standards should be transmitted by the schools. It is a back-to- basics movement that emphasizes facts. Instruction is uniform, direct, and subject-centered. Students should be taught discipline, hard work, and respect for authority. 



Humanism
Humanist educators consider learning from the perspective of the human potential for growth, becoming the best one can be. The shift is to the study of affective as well as cognitive dimensions of learning. Beliefs include: human beings can control their own destiny; people are inherently good and will strive for a better world; people are free to act but must be responsible; behavior is the consequence of human choice; and people possess unlimited potential for growth and development. There is a natural tendency for people to learn, which will flourish if nourishing, encouraging environments are provided."


These results were what I expected would happen because I do think that there are some basic skills that students need to know, but that there needs to be a practical and applicable reason for why students are required to learn certain subjects.I also want to inspire my students to be diligent, disciplined, and respectful (somehow respect makes it into almost every one of my posts!). The other big thing for me is wanting students to reach their fullest potential.

I don't think I really learned anything about myself in this test, because I already had those opinions in mind about how I wanted to teach. I think that the way this site sets up the scoring makes it so the results are almost always accurate, although there can always be an occasional blip on any test. If you are going into the education field and wonder what your philosophy is, try out this test! You could be surprised what you learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment